McIntosh & Bowman Cheesemongers is a company passionate about cheese

With so much to see and do in the boutique cheese industry, Claudia has taken it upon herself to get out and about as much as possible to meet key cheese people and take part in cheese activities around the world. 'Cheese Diaries' are your way of keeping track of Claudia's cheese adventures and sharing in the information and research she experiences.

Visit www.mcintoshandbowman.com for more info

Friday, July 24, 2009

Katrina Durham discovers the world of cheese

Hi Claudia, Here is my attempt at blogging my journey!

"Last weekend I did a cheese appreciation course at the Pickle Pantry in Cootamundra with Claudia. Here energy is quite infectious and it has started my journey to learn more about cheese – its heritage, the science and how to make!

I phoned mum & dad and said to them that "I am going to make cheese" – they have been very supportive and mum found an article in the latest Country Style about a young woman changing careers from winemaking to cheese making!

I have working in the agricultural industry for the past 18 years and am very passionate about primary industries and the crucial role they play in feeding the world, social interaction and pure enjoyment! So thus far I have booked in to do a course with Barry Lillywhite at CSU – very excited! I have been to a dairy and learnt about milk production and quality issues and got some milk and received a cheese making kit to start my very exciting journey.

At the end of the year I hope to spend a week with a cheese maker in Albany and learn from other people."

regards
Katrina Durham

1 comment:

sutros said...

A good story

GK Chesterton: “The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.”

Voila: www.tastingtoeternity.com. This book is a poetic view of 30 of the best loved French cheeses with an additional two odes to cheese. Recipes, wine pairing, three short stories and an educational section complete the book.

From a hectic life in New York City to the peace and glories of the French countryside lead me to be the co-founder of www.fromages.com. Ten years later with the words of Pierre Androuet hammering on my brain:

“Cheese is the soul of the soil. It is the purest and most romantic link between humans and the earth.”

I took pen and paper; many reams later with the midnight oil burning Tasting to Eternity was born and self published.

I believe cheese and wine lovers should be told about this publication.

Enjoy.